Re: rcs

From: Jos Backus <jos_at_catnook.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 09:34:37 -0700
On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Julian Elischer <julian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 10/9/13 11:59 PM, Jos Backus wrote:

[snip]

> OK, but please, can we replace RCS with Fossil in 11 then? That adds a real
>> improvement to FreeBSD while giving people plenty of time to prepare.
>>
> can fossil read rcs files? and how big is it compared to RCS?

It seems there's some thought on importing CVS repos but according to
'fossil help import', only the git fast-export format is supported.
In practice this means you'd loose history, yes. But it's not hard to keep
the old RCS files somewhere else in case that history is needed.

http://www.fossil-scm.org/fossil/wiki?name=Import+CVS+Repositories

I just built devel/fossil and it yields a single binary,
/usr/local/bin/fossil which clocks in at 1.8M. Given all the functionality
it provides (plus it is in a similar class as git, see
http://www.fossil-scm.org/index.html/doc/tip/www/fossil-v-git.wiki), I
think that's a steal.

It was started by the author of SQlite. If we require some kind of version
control system in the base that's powerful, well-maintained and
BSD-licensed, this really seems like a no-brainer.

Jos
--
Jos Backus
jos at catnook.com