Re: rcs

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon_at_orthanc.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 13:35:33 -0700
On 2013-10-10, at 1:06 PM, Igor Mozolevsky <igor_at_hybrid-lab.co.uk> wrote:

> You're missing the point- the requirement is "provide a way to keep track
> of changes for file X" not "have many fancy and unnecessary features"...

The point is to put back the specific RCS commands that were recently removed.

Those of us using RCS do so because it's in the base system.  If we wanted/needed another SCM, we would install it from ports.  But many of us use RCS specifically because installing a port is not an option.  *Why* it's not an option is not relevant.

RCS is not broken, and is very low maintenance code. /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/rcs has been modified four times in the last decade.  Two of those changes were sweeping Makefile updates that affected much more than RCS.  Of the other two, only one update touched the actual code, and that was a one line change to a .h.

--lyndon