Re: May you please add alias for nslookup?

From: zhifeng hu <zf_at_ancientrocklab.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 17:09:01 +0800
OK, I am system administrator,  I manage a server  cluster for years, i really need nslookup tools to diagnostic  the network health. i thought there be many more people here will be in trouble.
Who will be affected by this change, may be the system administrators. may be the normal users.
After upgraded their system or reinstall system, they found their lovely tools disappeared.
Every changes should be clear and help people out the trouble.
No trouble,no Suffering please.

On Oct 12, 2013, at 4:44 PM, Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 12/10/2013 08:10, zhifeng hu wrote:
>> I am noticed that the nslookup will not appear by default in freebsd 10.
>> but this is a very basic tools, we need it very much more than you think.
>> would you please add alias for nslookup ? such as
>> alias nslookup="host -v"
>>
>> NOT FORCE USER TO INSTALL dns/bind-tool
>>
>> It's not good for human use experiences.
>
> nslookup is a very different tool, it has an interactive mode which is
> not available in e.g. the "host" utility and a specific output format
> (scripts will break if they attempt to parse the output of host -v as if
> it is coming from nslookup). But I agree that something should be done -
> maybe a script which checks if /usr/local/bin/nslookup exists, then
> executes it, and if it doesn't exist then outputs a message explaning
> the user what has happened and optionally invoking "host" or "dig".

zhifeng hu