Re: BE Loader Menu (was Re: rcs)

From: Juergen Lock <nox_at_jelal.kn-bremen.de>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 17:54:27 +0200 (CEST)
In article <59.81.16944.C6136525_at_cdptpa-oedge02> you write:
>Sorry for previous typo in From: line, missing right angle bracket at end.
>Then, in a finger error, I resent that message just before finding the error and making the needed correction.
>
>from Devin Teske:
>
>> I'm late to the party again ;D (didn't realize the rcs thread had turned BE)
>
>> Both problems can be solved.
>> The loading of the kernel *after* choosing your boot device is trivial.
>> We've been doing it at $work for *years* (almost a decade?)
>
>> I can put that in, whenever. Probably at the same time as implementing
>> the live/dynamic BE menus for selecting the root device.
>
>I'd like to know how to boot FreeBSD >= 9.1 with grub2.
>
>Following the instructions under $PORTSDIR/sysutils/grub2
>
>insmod ufs2
>set root=(hd0,gpt3)
>kfreebsd /boot/loader
>boot
>
>stopped working around FreeBSD 9.1-stable.

If you mean it loads the kernel but then crashes instead of booting it
then your grub2 version is missing this fix:

>I used Super Grub2 Disk image on the System Rescue CD written to USB stick.

 A super grub disk beta version with the mentioned fix is here:

	https://forja.cenatic.es/frs/?group_id=204

(2.00s1b6, it also has fixed autodetection of FreeBSD installs.)

>Recently, I built sysutils/grub2, ran mkrescue, wrote that image to the System Rescue USB stick and made the entry in /syslinux/syslinux.cfg, but haven't tested that yet.
>
>What is the method you or PC-BSD uses?

 PC-BSD uses (more or less?) the sysutils/grub2 port that has the above
fix. (as well as zfs patches etc.)

>I want to use it on FreeBSD 9.2 and 10-current.
>
>I tried visiting pcbsd.org website but couldn't find any details.
>
>Tom

 HTH, :)
	Juergen