Re: RFC: support for "first boot" rc.d scripts

From: Colin Percival <cperciva_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 12:11:13 -0700
On 10/14/13 10:00, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-10-14 at 09:51 -0700, Colin Percival wrote:
>> Yes, it's hard to store state on diskless systems... but I figured
>> that anyone building a diskless system would know to not create a
>> "run firstboot scripts" marker.  And not all embedded systems are
>> diskless...
>
> The embedded systems we create at $work have readonly root and mfs /var,
> but we do have writable storage on another filesystem.  It would work
> for us (not that we need this feature right now) if there were an rcvar
> that pointed to the marker file.  Of course to make it work, something
> would have to get the alternate filesystem mounted early enough to be
> useful (that is something we do already with a custom rc script).

Indeed... the way my patch currently does things, it looks for the
firstboot sentinel at the start of /etc/rc, which means it *has* to
be on /.  Making the path an rcvar is a good idea (updated patch
attached) but we still need some way to re-probe for that file after
mounting extra filesystems.

> Note that I'm not asking for any changes here, just babbling.

Babbling is good.  Between us we might babble a useful solution. ;-)

--
Colin Percival