Re: RFC: support for "first boot" rc.d scripts

From: Colin Percival <cperciva_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 12:47:44 -0700
On 10/14/13 10:00, Ian Lepore wrote:
> The embedded systems we create at $work have readonly root and mfs /var,
> but we do have writable storage on another filesystem.  It would work
> for us (not that we need this feature right now) if there were an rcvar
> that pointed to the marker file.  Of course to make it work, something
> would have to get the alternate filesystem mounted early enough to be
> useful (that is something we do already with a custom rc script).

New patch attached.  This one re-probes for the firstboot sentinel
after ${early_late_divider}, so you can set firstboot_sentinel to
/path/to/my/writable/storage as long as that's available once the
boot process reaches FILESYSTEMS (or NETWORKING, or whatever you
set early_late_divider to).  I figure that if we can assume all the
local rc.d scripts are available at that point we can assume that
wherever people decide to put the firstboot sentinel will also be
available at that point.

Does anyone see any problems with this?

--
Colin Percival