Re: [rfc] removing the NDISulator

From: Vincent Hoffman <vince_at_unsane.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 23:31:36 +0100
On 23/10/2013 18:35, Eitan Adler wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>> If there are drivers that people absolutely need fixed then they should
>> stand up and say "hey, I really would like X to work better!" and then
>> follow it up with some encouraging incentives. Right now the NDISulator
>> lets people work _around_ this by having something that kind of works for
>> them but it doesn't improve our general driver / stack ecosystems.
> I doubt most people prefer to use the ndisulator over a native driver.
> However, many people don't have the skills, time, or money to provide
> the incentives you are talking about.  At this point ndisulator
> provides a means to an end: working wireless and it isn't causing
> significant strain on the project in terms of development effort.
>
> Our end users are not always developers and I think removing this
> feature will hurt more than it will help.

As an end user, the main issue I have is that according to the manpage
it supports ndis 5.1
According to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Driver_Interface_Specification this
is the version supported by
Windows XP <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP>, Server 2003
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_2003>, Windows CE
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_CE> 4.x, 5.0, 6.0

As you might guess most new devices wont be coming with drivers for XP,
so does this mean I wont be able to use drivers for a recent windows
version (my understanding is that it will but happy to learn differently)
If this is the case and there is no active development on it, a gradual
depreciation over the 10.x series is probably a good idea. If however
its likely to support current drivers/devices it does have a place (I've
used it once or twice in a pinch.)

Vince
^