Troubles with VIA VX900 chipset

From: Alexandre Martins <alexandre.martins_at_netasq.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 15:56:15 +0200
Dear,

We have seen some issues with the VIA VX900 chipset. The main trouble is that
some SATA hard drive are not seen by the kernel (BIOS and boot-loader are OK).

After investigations, it seems that during the initialisation of the
controler, some reset commands are send via "ata_via_sata_reset" fonction.
Into the chipset documentation, there is a warning about successive reset
commands, and software must waiting the "BUSY" flag is clear, before send
another reset. I have added a "DELAY(10000)" between the second call of
"ata_sata_phy_reset" and the call of "ata_generic_reset" and the problem
disapear.

I also made a more complex fix which check the "BUSY" flag.

Which fix of delai checking is the better one ?

Best Regards

--
Alexandre Martins
NETASQ -- We secure IT