Re: 10.0-BETA1 i386 on VirtualBox

From: Maciej Milewski <milu_at_dat.pl>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 17:47:37 +0200
On 24.10.2013 17:34, Ryan Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Maciej Milewski <milu_at_dat.pl> wrote:
>> I've encountered problems with installing FreeBSD-10.0-BETA1 i386 under
>> VirtualBox.
>> The problem is with setting/changing root password during install process.
>> After entering password twice there is:
>>
>> passwd: pam_chauthtok(): error in service module
>>
>> Then there shows pwd_mkdb.core in current directory.
>> The same VirtualBox machine has no problems with installing
>> FreeBSD-9.2-RELEASE
>>
>> Has anyone any clues?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Maciej Milewski
> I have seen that error when the password database in /etc is not
> writeable (in my case, / was mounted read-only).
I don't think that's the case as during install I went to another
console to check how is mounted future / and it's:
/dev/ada0p2 on /mnt (ufs, local, journaled soft-updates)
and /mnt/etc/pwd.db, group, passwd are 644 and
spwd.db,master.passwd are 600
The same as in running 9.2-RELEASE

Anyway, thanks for the hint.

Regards,