Re: newcons comming

From: Aleksandr Rybalko <ray_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 11:09:45 +0200
On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 15:37:25 -0400
Sean Bruno <sean_bruno_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2013-10-26 at 22:32 +0300, Aleksandr Rybalko wrote:
> > On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 10:45:32 +0200
> > dt71_at_gmx.com wrote:
> >
> > > Suppose that Newcons gets in quickly. I use a Radeon 9600 card. Will
> > > I see something useful on my screen (with KMS and the new Xorg and
> > > things like that), or will my screen be black?
> >
> > Yup, you will get normal virtual terminal, but a bit bigger than
> > 640x480. It is main reason why x11 team ask me to merge newcons ASAP.
> > Newcons can use framebuffer provided by DRM.
> >
> > Try it yourself.
> >
> > WBW
>

> So, I'm running NEW Xorg now and KMS with an NVidia card.  What should I
> do to test this?  What are the expected results?
>
> sean

Spend several hours to try to bring nvidia unit in my laptop. But it is
"Optimus". It looks like working, but both output show same picture :)))
And this is right-side of desktop (if you run xorg) :)
So I can't answer your question yet.
Think we have to ask nvidia to share some info on how to call their KMS
inside kernel (not via /dev/card/dri node).

WBW
--
Aleksandr Rybalko <ray_at_freebsd.org>