Re: [heads up] axing AppleTalk and IPX/SPX

From: Gary Palmer <gpalmer_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 19:26:19 -0400
On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 12:12:21PM -0700, Tom Samplonius wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2013, at 11:54 AM, Stefan Bethke <stb_at_lassitu.de> wrote:
>
> > Am 28.10.2013 um 13:42 schrieb Gleb Smirnoff <glebius_at_FreeBSD.org>:
> >
> >> The plan is two axe two old networking protocols from FreeBSD head/,
> >> meaning that FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE, available in couple of years would
> >> be shipped without them.
> >>
> >> 1) AppleTalk
> >>
> >>  Last time claimed to be supported by vendor in 2007[1]. In practice
> >>  had very little use since 90th.
> >>  Discontinued by major routing equipment vendors since 2009[2].
> >
> > Since Apple has now even deprecated AFP (the file sharing protocol implemented by netatalk, among others), it?s time to let go.
> >

>   Do you have a reference for that?  Various pundits have claimed that Apple is deprecating AFP because when you enable Personal File Sharing, that enables SMB now, not AFP, but so far I have not seen any official announcement from Apple either way.

Technically I don't know if AFP is deprecated, however SMB2 is the new
default for file sharing.  The most I've been able to find is:

https://www.apple.com/media/us/osx/2013/docs/OSX_Mavericks_Core_Technology_Overview.pdf

pages 21 and 22.  AFP is described as being used "with older Mac computers",
however Time Machine still very much relies on it so AFP won't be going
away soon.

Gary