Re: Official FreeBSD Binary Packages now available for pkgng

From: Matthew Seaman <m.seaman_at_infracaninophile.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 22:11:06 +0000
On 31/10/2013 21:38, Bryan Drewery wrote:
> On 10/31/2013 4:25 PM, Eric Camachat wrote:
>> > Same result, neither pkg+http:// nor http+pkg:// worked with proxy server.
>> >
> Top-posting kills babies
>
> pkg+http is NOT supported in 1.1 and as I said, changes nothing.

Also the request that pkg(8) makes after resolving the SRV record is a
bog standard HTTP GET to one of the pkg.freebsd.org servers.  It's using
libfetch, so all the usual environment variables to do with HTTP
proxying should just work.  If you do some traffic capture with eg.
wireshark, you'll be able to see that for yourself, and look at the
details of the HTTP packets.

pkg(8) does take some care to present the modification time of any local
copy of a package it is trying to download thus allowing a web server to
send a 304 'Not Modified' response where relevant.  However there's no
recommendation on what (if any) Expires or Cache-Control headers the
repo's web server should use.  Personally, I just take whatever the
defaults are that come with Apache on my own local repos. Which works
for me just fine, but then again, I don't have any proxying to deal with
in my setup.

If you think that the settings used on the pkg.freebsd.org servers could
be improved, then make your case -- if your arguments have merit, then
I'm sure the server admins will listen.  Note however that this is all
server-side, and not something under the control of your local copy of pkg.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.