Re: GCC withdraw

From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk_at_MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 21:53:45 -0400 (EDT)
Sorry for adding to the long thread.

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013, David Chisnall wrote:

> However, we want to be able to make it unsupported at some point in the
> 10.x series when there is a polished alternative for every supported
> architecture (either when they've moved to clang or when the XCC stuff

I am worried about the definition of "polished".  I held my tongue in
Ottawa in 2011 when Kirk wanted to turn SU+J on by default, since I
figured he knew what was going on much better than I did.  Then, we
discovered the bad interactions between SU+J and snapshots.  If memory
serves, things like sparc64 and mips64 support for clang/llvm and XCC
suppor are being described as only "a few man-months work away".  But that
seems to be just to get something which is working ... I fear that to get
it truly "polished" will be another 2-3 years on top of those man-months.
If we are in agreement about what "polished" means, then by all means
announce with 10.0 that gcc's days are numbered and drop it at the
appropriate 10.x.  I just don't want us to discover terrible bugs a few
months after we make a switch, due to being wrong about "polished".

-Ben