Re: GCC withdraw

From: Mark Linimon <linimon_at_lonesome.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 13:03:50 -0500
On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 10:41:18AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> So my take away from this is that you have no plans to support any platform
> that doesn't support clang as you just expect ia64 and sparc64 to die and
> not be present in 11.0.  That may be the best path, but I've certainly not
> seen that goal discussed publically.

If this is the case, IMHO:

 - it's a decision to be made by the project as a whole, not just one
   individual;

 - if the decision is made, there should be one major release cycle
   before it's done;

 - our userbase (admittedly small) should have a heads-up that they
   will have to migrate after that timeframe.

fwiw, unlike alpha, which was withdrawn because it had ceased to function,
sparc64 and ia64 work and have active developer(s), so I don't think it
would be entirely fair to cite its removal as a precedent.

tl;dr: just because you don't use these boxes doesn't mean others don't.

mcl