Re: random(4) update causes mips compile fail | mips boot fail

From: Ian Lepore <ian_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 15:31:51 -0600
On Sat, 2013-09-07 at 22:25 +0100, Mark R V Murray wrote:
> On 7 Sep 2013, at 21:42, Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > We discussed this at the dev summit. Mark asked what we'd like to do.
> >
> > Mark - would you mind terribly adding a kernel compile option that controls that blocking default, so we can flip it on for the ARM/MIPS boards that don't have a hardware PRNG to start seeding things with?
>
> This has some merit; but I need to thing about how to do it. Per-architecture block/no-block defaults are going to get messy unless done properly.

I think it's fine to default to blocking (make it hard to do the wrong
thing by accident), and then any given kernel config can include an
OPTION_WHATEVERYOUCALLIT to disable the blocking and let it work the way
it does now.  Having a tuneable var with a name related to the config
option might be nice too, for platforms that can handle such things.

Those of us who have to cope with limited systems will fix our config
for those systems; that part of it shouldn't be your problem beyond
providing us with a knob.

-- Ian