Re: random(4) update causes mips compile fail | mips boot fail

From: Mark R V Murray <mark_at_grondar.org>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 08:26:43 +0100
On 8 Sep 2013, at 01:31, Glen Barber <gjb_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 05:27:19PM -0700, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>> ok. So I can work around this for these MIPS AP images by echoing something
>> into /dev/random ?
>>

> The correct workaround (which now I see I should have done before
> locking head/) is to revert this commit so it can be properly fixed.
>
> Calling "echo '' >/dev/random" the "KNOB" is insulting.

Using a write to /dev/random as a reseed was there from day one (check random(4)),
and while it is not the clearest thing on the planet that a reseed unblocks the
device, that has always been there by intent. That is how etc/rc.d/initrandom is
supposed to work.

In checking the man page I've released that connection needs to be clarified.

I've (re)set the "seeded" bit, so behaviour is as it was. I'll look for a way
to set this bit from the kernel config file.

Mark R V Murray