Re: sysctl: unknown oid 'kern.random.sys.harvest.interrupt

From: RW <rwmaillists_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 12:46:56 +0100
On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 11:14:29 +0800
Alastair Hogge wrote:

> On 2013-09-16 Mon 19:21:39 +0200, Joel Dahl wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi,
>
> > I noticed the following during boot on a machine running HEAD from
> > today:
>
> I have noticed this since the recent work to /sys/dev/random
>
> > Entropy harvesting:sysctl: unknown oid
> > 'kern.random.sys.harvest.interrupt': No such file or directory
> > interruptssysctl: unknown oid 'kern.random.sys.harvest.ethernet':
> > No such file or directory ethernetsysctl: unknown oid
> > 'kern.random.sys.harvest.point_to_point': No such file or directory
> > point_to_point kickstart.
> >
> > Known problem?

It looks like /etc/rc.d/initrandom is no longer correctly checking for
whether the software generator is in use, so it tries to set sysctls
that don't exist. Those partiticular warnings look harmless.

It might be that writing to /dev/random which occurs immediatly after is
causing the problem. Try commenting out the following:

		# First pass at reseeding /dev/random.
		#
		case ${entropy_file} in
			;;