Re: panic: ia64 r255811: deadlkres: possible deadlock detected for 0xe000000012d07b00, blocked for 902743 ticks

From: Davide Italiano <davide_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 18:36:37 +0200
On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas_at_bris.ac.uk> wrote:
> >From davide.italiano_at_gmail.com Wed Sep 25 16:12:47 2013
>>
>>Can you please paste the output of 'show locks', 'show alllocks',
>>'show lockedvnods' at least?
>>Ideally you should provide all the informations listed here.
>>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug-deadlocks.html
>
> ok, I'll need to study this.
>
> I've in the kernel:
>
> # Debugging support.  Always need this:
> options         KDB             # Enable kernel debugger support.
> options         KDB_TRACE       # Print a stack trace for a panic.
> # For full debugger support use (turn off in stable branch):
> options         DDB             # Support DDB
> options         GDB             # Support remote GDB
> options         DEADLKRES       # Enable the deadlock resolver
> options         INVARIANTS      # Enable calls of extra sanity checking
> options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT # required by INVARIANTS
> options         WITNESS         # Enable checks to detect deadlocks and cycles
> options         WITNESS_SKIPSPIN # Don't run witness on spinlocks for speed
> options         MALLOC_DEBUG_MAXZONES=8 # Separate malloc(9) zones
>
> so I'm missing DEBUG_LOCKS, DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS and DIAGNOSTIC
> from the handbook list.
>
> What about all debug options in GENERIC which are
> not mentioned in your link? Specifically, do I need
> to have DEADLKRES?

Yes, you need that option because it's DEADLKRES that triggers the panic.

> I've never used trace.
> Also, I'm getting a panic, so cannot run ps, I think.

You can run 'ps' from ddb prompt.
As an advice I suggest you to setup textdump(4) on your machine and
set up a script to gather the required informations, so that you can
get those informations pretty easily for report. The manpage has
detailed description about how to do this.

--
Davide

"There are no solved problems; there are only problems that are more
or less solved" -- Henri Poincare