Re: installworld broken - osreldate.h: permission denied

From: Ian Lepore <ian_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 10:16:03 -0600
On Sat, 2013-09-28 at 15:09 +0200, Joel Dahl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Fresh HEAD. installworld from read-only /usr/obj and /usr/src:
>
> /usr/src/include/iconv.h osreldate.h /usr/include
> install: osreldate.h: Permission denied
> *** Error code 71
>
> Stop.
> make[4]: stopped in /usr/src/include
> *** Error code 1
>
> Everything was working fine 2 weeks ago, so it's a recent breakage.

I can't reproduce this.  I just did buildworld from readonly src,
remounted the obj dir as readonly (using nullfs) and did an install from
it, no errors.  In case something about nullfs subverted the test, I
then created an md disk, copied obj/* into there, mounted that readonly,
and did an install from it.  That worked too.

Things that are likely different between our setups:  I'm using DESTDIR=
to install into a directory other than /, and my build machine is i386
running 8-stable, probably not the most common setup these days. :)

I'm building an amd64 kernel & world to install onto a spare machine to
see if I can reproduce it in that environment, but that'll take a couple
hours.

-- Ian