Re: installworld broken - osreldate.h: permission denied

From: Ian Lepore <ian_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 15:27:06 -0600
On Sun, 2013-09-29 at 10:13 +0200, Joel Dahl wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 11:19:51AM -0600, Ian Lepore wrote:
> > On Sat, 2013-09-28 at 15:09 +0200, Joel Dahl wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Fresh HEAD. installworld from read-only /usr/obj and /usr/src:
> > >
> > > /usr/src/include/iconv.h osreldate.h /usr/include
> > > install: osreldate.h: Permission denied
> > > *** Error code 71
> > >
> > > Stop.
> > > make[4]: stopped in /usr/src/include
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Everything was working fine 2 weeks ago, so it's a recent breakage.
> > >

> > Okay, I just accidentally created conditions for this error on my
> > system...  I checked in a change to newvers.sh while a buildworld was
> > running, which led to a situation where newvers.sh was newer than
> > osreldate.h at the end of the buildworld.  Then an installworld tried to
> > regenerate osreldate.h due to its dependency on newvers.sh, which would
> > fail if the obj was readonly at that point.
> >
> > I think we could see if something similar applies for you if you use
> > this command:
> >
> >   make -dm installworld SUBDIR_OVERRIDE=include
>
> I tried this with a fresh HEAD but the error message is still the same.
>
> /usr/src and /usr/obj are NFS mounted, FYI.

I've tried everything I can think of to reproduce this, and I can't.  I
can install from readonly nfs-mounted obj and src without any errors.

It appears that for you it's trying to regenerate osreldate.h during the
install step.  If so, the first question is why it's doing that.  The
logical answer would be "because it's out of date with respect to its
dependencies" but it would be nice to have some evidence of that (such
as the output from the command I gave earlier).

Then, if that is the reason it's trying to regenerate the file, the next
question would be "why is osreldate.h older than its source files?"

-- Ian