Re: installworld broken - osreldate.h: permission denied

From: Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 03:15:09 -0400
On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 1:12 AM, Joel Dahl <joel_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 07:53:44PM -0700, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > Joel Dahl wrote this message on Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 10:13 +0200:

> tried to
> would

> > > I tried this with a fresh HEAD but the error message is still the same.
> > >
> > > /usr/src and /usr/obj are NFS mounted, FYI.
> >
> > Are you building on one machine and running install on another?  Are
> > the dates the same between the two machines?
>
> Yes, both machines are running ntp. I've double-checked the dates and they
> are
> in sync.
>
> --
> Joel

The problem is UFS and NFS 3 do not have a COMMON user model . Each user is
setting his/her update flag in the server , and the other users are NOT
able to access to his/her updated files.

In this subject , I had asked the following question :

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2013-September/253323.html
( NFS file modes consistency among different operating systems )

I could not find any answer which is applicable .
Setting client "umask" value is NOT respected by any application ( I do not
know which ones are using it ) .

My solution is to frequently set file modes in the server to a common mode
such as

rwx-rwx-rwx

to allow other users from other computers to access and use the files
although the users are the same person with the same name in the client
computers .

Some Linux distributions even is NOT respecting such a mode and they are
giving "Permission denied" for
executable programs which is not possible to find which part is responsible
for this rejection .

I could not find a detailed information about NFS 4 user model from client
computers .
It seems that NFS does not have a configuration file to manage access
rights among different users by
setting default file modes which all of the clients uses that mode .

ZFS and NFS 4 together giving an impression that such facilities may be
used , but NFS 4 is not mentioned in the FreeBSD Handbook as production
usable . In the man pages , it is called as "experimental" .

Therefore , only solution , perhaps , is to set file modes in server when
it becomes necessary to access to these files by another user .

My knowledge is so much .

This is a difficult situation for shared use of NFS 3 by different clients
on the same directories .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk