Re: [CURRENT] unbound: zonefiles?

From: Mark Felder <feld_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 09:14:25 -0500
On Mon, Sep 30, 2013, at 8:53, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On Sep 30, 2013, at 14:28, Mark Felder <feld_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> > BIND functioned as both roles. The lack of separation is often why it is
> > criticized. DJB made the separation of roles famous when he released
> > DJBDNS which includes two daemons: dnscache and tinydns.
> >
> > The complementary daemon by the Unbound authors (NLNet Labs) is called
> > nsd. This is probably what you're looking for. Please keep in mind you
> > cannot run both nsd and unbound on the same IP as they both cannot
> > listen on the same port (53).
>
> Yes, and there is the rub for most 'SOHO' users, who do not win anything
> by separating these roles.  In such cases, setting up a separate IP
> and/or port just to split up authoritative and recursive DNS is rather
> inconvenient...

We should update the handbook to point people to the version of BIND in
ports. We can't keep BIND 9 in base forever, and BIND 10 would require
we import Python... We don't have a lot of options at this point and DES
pointed out in his blog that the future of DNS is in base is being
reworked for FreeBSD 11. This is just a stopgap.