Re: Leaving the Desktop Market

From: Chris H <bsd-lists_at_bsdforge.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 07:13:30 -0700 (PDT)
> Hi all,
>
> Some of you may have seen my posts entitled "Story of a Laptop User"
> and "Story of a Desktop User".  For those of you who did not, it can
> be a worthwhile read to see what life is like when using FreeBSD as a
> desktop.  In short, it is an educational experience.  While FreeBSD
> can be coerced to do the right thing, it is rarely there by default
> and often doesn't work as well as we would expect.

Ha, ha, ha. Reminds me of the long running 04-01 gag stating that
kernel.org ran on FreeBSD.

As to "Leaving the Desktop Market";
+1. OK by me.

OTOH The following /will/ give you everything you /claim/ isn't
/currently/ possible.

x11/xorg-minimal
x11-wm/xfce4
audio/aquqlung
multimedia/vlc

The above list also gives you the ability to switch output(s) on
the fly (via mixer).

"exotic" video card?

emulators/linux_base-f10
x11/nvidia-driver