Re: Leaving the Desktop Market

From: Daniel Kalchev <daniel_at_digsys.bg>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 16:12:55 +0300
On 02.04.14 04:26, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> It's no longer "xorg just speaks to the graphics chip."

This is a common trend in computing recently. What once required tightly
integrated OS/applications is now distributed, in the widest sense. The
so called "Personal Computer" is nowadays actually spread out all around
the globe -- some of your "desktop" applications or parts of them might
actually run in a data center far, far away. Having lots of diskless
workstations in my office, all running FreeBSD and fact being "dumb" X
Windows terminals to a bunch of servers, where the actually applications
run -- it is sometimes very difficult to even begin explaining this
concept to colleagues who have seen nothing but the Windows PC. The
display, keyboard, mouse etc might be running their own and different OS
each.

Therefore, I don't see this adding of abstraction layers as a bad thing,
as it lets you have a "FreeBSD workstation", running on an Android STB
as the interface to your physical monitor/mouse/etc. What we should do
instead is make sure that FreeBSD supports the respective APIs.

Considering that today visualization is everywhere, I also don't see any
problem running that particular Windows, or Linux "only" application in
an VirtualBox window. Or (in my example office case), running something
(Linux?) on the diskless workstations that handles the peculiarities of
the particular video chip/audio etc and still providing you with the
same desktop session on your FreeBSD servers.

Daniel