Re: Leaving the Desktop Market

From: Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe_at_nsu.ru>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 16:58:40 +0700
On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 11:21:34AM +0200, Matthias Gamsjager wrote:
> > Since when is GIMP an alternative to Lightroom?  I was talking about
> > raw processors, not raster image manipulators.
>
> The opensource alternatives to Lightroom come not close to the original.

They maybe not yet a drop-in replacement, but they are competitive enough
to be discussed on photo forums (read: outside open source geeky cabal):

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/242584-darktable-vs-lightroom.html
http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/37238/how-does-darktable-compare-to-adobe-lightroom-for-editing-jpegs
http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/23272/simple-comparison-of-lightroom-4-corel-aftershot-pro-darktable
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/39475179

As they say, "The differences in actual editing are negligible. It's not
even worth migrating between the two.  LR comes with a price-tag, Darktable
comes with bugs."

./danfe