Re: login.conf --> UTF-8

From: Andrey Chernov <ache_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2014 05:35:49 +0400
On 04.04.2014 16:46, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:

> A> > And I'd like to do same change for the 'russian' login class
> A> > in /etc/login.conf.
> A>
> A> Please everybody remember that we don't have UTF-8 collation
> A> implemented, just fallback to bytecode comparison.
>
> Any objections on checking in FreeBSD-compatible[1] UTF-8 collation
> implementation from Alex Tutubalin?
>
> http://blog.lexa.ru/2008/03/03/freebsd_utf8_russian_collate_vtoraja_popitka.html

Even his "version 2" have my objections. I already reply Alex about this
in 2008. In short:
1) It is error there: almost all single chars above ASCII should be
"chains", i.t. two bytes minimum, since there almost no intersections
with ISO8859-1 as UTF-8 subset.
2) The table itself is very incomplete, f.e. not covering either whole
KOI8-R, nor ISO8859-5, nor CP866. It is made from CP1251 with all its
restrictions. So, switching from f.e. KOI8-R to UTF-8 will cause sorting
regression. Russian UTF-8 collation should be able to sort all major
Russian charsets mentioned, i.e. we need combined table.
3) "charmap map.ISO8859-1" declaration is missing (needed mainly for
using pure ASCII chars mnemonic names).

Even in case above mentioned errors will be removed and the code will be
committed afterwards, we should understand that this way (implementing
multibyte collation via single byte one) even while being possible is a
big hack and slowing sorting down up to 10 times.

Proper "Unicode collation algorithm" is already implemented by ICU and
other projects. See
http://unicode.org/reports/tr10/
It will be better if someone adopt it instead of hacks.

--
http://ache.vniz.net/