Ordering for network-sensitive rc scripts

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 09:21:34 +0100
Hi all,

For a little while, I've had an issue with the machine that sits on the edge of my network deciding to start avahi as soon as a network is available, meaning that it then runs mDNS advertisements on the external interface and not the wireless one, requiring a manual restart once the machine boots.  I'm now seeing something similar with pf - it manages to start before the external interface comes up and so silently ignores all of the rules for routing packets off the network.

Do we have a mechanism for stating that certain services should not be started until ALL of the interfaces are up, rather than just the first one?  Or even of restarting them when a new network appears?

David