Booting a SuperMicro Superserver

From: Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 09:32:36 -0700
A continuing issue (with 9.1 previously and now 10) is that FreeBSD occasionally (or always) seems to boot from the 2nd installed drive
rather than the first. I'd be happy to debug this, but I have no idea if it's bootcode or a BIOS issue. Supermicro pleads innocent, but their bios
guys are hard to work with and fairly arrogant if you don't specifically isolate something.

The scenario occurs when ada0 is upgraded and has an incompatible kernel with other code on drive ada1.  (note that ada1 is a backup of the pre-upgrade ada0, so it's fstab points to ada0 for mount points). The system will boot and then modules will fail to load. It loads the kernel from
 ada1 and then mounts partitions from ada0; old kernel and newer modules.

The problem is resolved by popping the 2nd drive. So there is nothing wrong with ada0 to cause it to bounce to ada1.

My question: What would cause the system to boot from ada1 instead of ada0? Bios or Bootcode?

Thanks.

BC