Re: HOWTO articles for migrating from Linux to FreeBSD, especially for pkg?

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 15:19:16 -0700
On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 6:10 PM, Thiago Barroso Perrotta
<thiagoperrotta95_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> First of all, hello. I intended to reply to [1], but since I am new to
> this mailing list, I found that it would be better to create a
> new thread (if any of you know how to reply to a mailman message
> without much trouble, I would appreciate to discover it).
>
> I am the author of the post referred in the previous message (Wordpress
> brought me there). I am liking FreeBSD, and I'll probably migrate soon
> my current Debian server to it. One of the reasons that I enjoyed
> FreeBSD is because it is similar to Arch Linux (my current preferred
> Linux distro) in various ways.
>
> Anyways, I just wanted to indicate this [2] link to you. It is a good
> resource comparing different package manager commands. Right now it
> does not include FreeBSD's pkg, however I highly encourage you to add
> one more column to this table, featuring it. There is no problem that
> pkg is not a Linux thing.
>
> Also, I am interested in the direction the original thread could go. As
> a almost-2,5 years Linux user, I could have discovered FreeBSD before.
> One of the reasons that I haven't paid much attention to it in the past
> was just because I didn't know that it had a large community. I thought
> it was small, not much significant. I'm still confused about the
> difference between the several BSDs out there (Open, Net, DragonFly,
> etc) and the relative size of each community, however at least I can
> see it is significant :)
>
> [1]: https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2014-July/051429.html
> [2]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_rosetta

Thiago,

I really liked the blog articles you wrote:

http://thiagoperrotta.wordpress.com/2014/07/20/here-be-dragons-freebsd-overview-part-i/
http://thiagoperrotta.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/here-be-packages-freebsd-overview-part-ii/

and you have very good suggestions.

You seem like a very positive person, and are willing to make good
suggestions and contributions.

We (FreeBSD community) should take your suggestions, because you are a newcomer,
so you are seeing things with fresh eyes.

I am a bit busy these days, but would you have time to maybe help me
write some HOWTO's for
FreeBSD, especially things that help people migrate from Linux to FreeBSD?

Thanks.
--
Craig