Re: r269471 make unusable VT console

From: Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:46:54 -0700
On 08/19/14 09:28, Jean-Sébastien Pédron wrote:
> On 19.08.2014 10:42, Jean-Sébastien Pédron wrote:
>> On 16.08.2014 01:51, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>>> It also has bad effects on boot time. My desktop takes something like 3
>>> times as long to boot after r269471. If it can't be fixed quickly, it
>>> needs to be reverted.
>> Just a quick note: I'm working on an update to vt_vga.
> Hello!
>
> Here's a first version of the patch I was talking about:
> https://people.freebsd.org/~dumbbell/vt/vt-vga.5.patch

Thanks!

> What's new/fixed:
>
>      o  vt_vga introduces a new callback, vd_bitblt_text_t, which takes
>         as argument the text buffer, the dirty area, the font and the
>         cursor (position, map, colors). With all this information at
>         hand, it can redraw the dirty area with almost no read from the
>         video memory. This greatly improves the performance. The
>         implementation is quite naive and I put a lot of comments. This
>         could probably be simplfied/improved.
>
>         The cursor is drawn at the same time than the text: this avoids
>         flickering of the mouse pointer.
>
>         The patch reads from the video memory only when the byte to
>         write uses more than 2 colors (fg/bg). But this only happens
>         with colored text around the cursor or with fonts who's width
>         isn't a multiple of 8.

Why is this necessary? I'd really prefer to avoid complicating this API.
One of the great things about writing newcons drivers is that there is
basically only one function you need to implement. If the current API
does not provide enough information to do this efficiently, I'd much
rather change it than add new callbacks.
-Nathan