Re: [RFC] Add support for hardware transmit rate limiting queues [WAS: Add support for changing the flow ID of TCP connections]

From: Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_iet.unipi.it>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:32:26 +0200
On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Hans Petter Selasky <hps_at_selasky.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A month has passed since the last e-mail on this topic, and in the
> meanwhile some new patches have been created and tested:
>
> Basically the approach has been changed a little bit:
>
> - The creation of hardware transmit rings has been made independent of the
> TCP stack. This allows firewall applications to forward traffic into
> hardware transmit rings aswell, and not only native TCP applications. This
> should be one more reason to get the feature into the kernel.
>
> - A hardware transmit ring basically can have two modes: FIXED-RATE or
> AUTOMATIC-RATE. In the fixed rate mode all traffic is sent at a fixed bytes
> per second rate. In the automatic mode you can configure a time after which
> the TX queue must be empty. The hardware driver uses this to configure the
> actual rate. In automatic mode you can also set an upper and lower transmit
> rate limit.
>
> - The MBUF has got a new field in the packet header: "txringid"
>
> - IOCTLs for TCP v4 and v6 sockets has been updated to allow setting of
> the "txringid" field in the mbuf.
>
> The current patch [see attachment] should be much simpler and less
> intrusive than the previous one.

​the patch seems to include only part of the generic code (ie no ioctls
for manipulating the rates, no backend code). Do i miss something ?

I have a few comments/concerns:

+ looks like flowid and txringid are overlapped in scope,
  both will be used (in the backend) to select a specific
  tx queue. I don't have a solution but would like to know
  how do you plan to address this -- does one have priority
  over the other, etc.
+ related to the above, a (possibly unavoidable) side effect
  of this type of changes is that mbufs explode with custom fields,
  so if we could perhaps make one between flowid and txringid,
  that would be useful.

+ is there a way to ​avoid the replicated code for SIOCSTXRINGID
  (the ioctl handler, i suppose). Maybe make one function and
  call it from both ipv4 and ipv6, assuming there aren't other
  places like this.

+ i am not particularly happy about the explosion of ioctls for
  setting and getting rates. Next we'll want to add scheduling,
  and intervals, and queue sizes and so on.
  For these commands outside the critical path it would be
  preferable a single command with an extensible structure.
  Bikeshed material i am sure.

cheers
luigi