Re: mkimg used to create gpt image, problem booting

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 10:08:49 -0700
On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 8:23 AM, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net> wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2014, at 2:11 AM, Andrey V. Elsukov <bu7cher_at_yandex.ru> wrote:
>
>> On 24.08.2014 06:14, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
>
>>> I did some further debugging inside the loader by doing the following.
>>>  -> I added "CFLAGS += -DPART_DEBUG" to sys/boot/common/Makefile.inc
>>>  -> I added DEBUG() statements all over sys/boot/common/part.c
>>>
>>> I observed that in sys/boot/common/part.c in the ptbl_gptread() function,
>>> that in this section:
>>>
>>>    305         ent = (struct gpt_ent *)tbl;
>>>    306         size = MIN(hdr.hdr_entries * hdr.hdr_entsz,
>>>    307             MAXTBLSZ * table->sectorsize);
>>>    308         for (i = 0; i < size / hdr.hdr_entsz; i++, ent++) {
>>>    309                 if (uuid_equal(&ent->ent_type, &gpt_uuid_unused, NULL))
>>>    310                         continue;
>>>
>>> ent->ent_type is all 0's, which matches gpt_uuid_unused, so it bails
>>> out of the loop and never adds the gpt partitions to the list of partitions
>>> that the loader can access.
>>
>> Yes, the problem is in the ptable_gptread() function. I'll commit the fix.
>>

> Actually, no. There is *a* problem in that function:
> The function does not respect hdr.hdr_entsz when it
> needs the next entry. It simply uses "ent++", which
> is fixed our definition of struct gpt_ent and may
> not match the definition of the writer.

Yes, you are correct.  I looked at the GPT format here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

Although the default size in the specification for a gpt entry is 128 bytes,
which matches the size of our "struct gpt_entry",
technically, the gpt header could specify a gpt entry size that is something
other than 128 bytes.  I guess the only restriction seems to be that
you cannot have variable sized gpt entries.....they have to match the
size of the gpt entry specified in the gpt header.

I guess we haven't hit this yet because there are probably very few
peopel creating gpt tables with entry sizes other than 128, but in the
future, who knows?

--
Craig