Re: mkimg used to create gpt image, problem booting

From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 16:55:08 -0700
On Aug 24, 2014, at 4:31 PM, John-Mark Gurney <jmg_at_funkthat.com> wrote:

>> With mkimg, you know exactly how many partitions you are creating
>> , so you don't need to specify 128 as the number of partitions.
>
> Though, w/ people dd'ing images onto disks, and using growfs to grow
> as necessary, we might want to allocate a few more more than the
> minimum...  I do agree that we want to keep sizes to a minimum...

One thing I can maybe do is simply fill the empty sectors
that are there because of alignment. If you add -P 4K to
mkimg, then the first partition will by 4K aligned and you
have about 5 sectors unused between the end of the GPT
table and the first sector of the first partition. I may
as well extend the table to cover those unued sectors.

However, this is a pretty side-ways way to end up with a
GPT table that has some extra room. Maybe having scheme-
specific options for this kind of thing is not bad. At
least EBR and APM have the same "problem" and the BSD
disk label can also be created with more than just 8
partitions.

Related:
o   Is there a need to create images with empty space at
    the end of in between partitions?
o   Is there a need to create partitions with specific
    indices (i.e. index 6 for a typical 'f' partition)?

Answers to these questions could help figure this out...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
marcel_at_xcllnt.net