Re: FreeBSD 10 and zfsd

From: Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 14:29:03 -0700
On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Mark Felder <feld_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> August 26 2014 2:49 PM, "Garrett Cooper" <yaneurabeya_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Why not just require ksh93 from ports?
>
> Because zfsd is going to be in base, not in ports. Everything in base needs to work without any ports requirements.

We have tests in base that require perl, and kyua itself comes from
ports. Granted it's not ideal, but it works and it gives developers
and test infrastructure people more flexibility with software instead
of having to key it into a particular version in the base system.

> Also ksh93 has been... problematic. It has a history of breaking on i386, sparc64, current, etc. It's not exactly a reliable dependency.

That's really unfortunate :(. If you have bug reports it'll provide
ammunition for why this should be converted over to something more
portable when I'm contributing patches back to IllumOS. I really
didn't want to do it because the process for contributing back to
IllumOS is so heavyweight, but reliability when running the tests is a
must.

Thanks!
-Garrett