RE: [TTC] Installer Enhancement -- dpv

From: <dteske_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 11:07:36 -0800

An important note:

Glen Barber has produced some new snapshots which contain the
new dpv utility (the TTC is on some code which would teach
bsdinstall to use said new dpv code).

So if you want to give the subject matter a spin, you can load up
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-snapshots/2014-December/000112.ht
ml

Do random stuff like:

# How fast does "yes" produce output (in lines/sec)?
time yes | dpv -lN 1000000000:yes

# How fast are my disks at enumerating [full] metainfo?
find / -ls 2> /dev/null | time dpv -l find

# How fast is /dev/random vs /dev/urandom vs /dev/zero (in bytes/sec)?
# aka: How fast can I read 1 Billion bytes from random, urandom, and zero?
(3 Billion bytes total)
time dpv -mN 1000000000:random /dev/random 1000000000:urandom /dev/urandom
1000000000:zero /dev/zero

# Watch "find" output rate while saving  a copy of the output to
/tmp/find_root
find / 2> /dev/null | dpv -lo /tmp/find_root find

There are more examples in the dpv(1) manual (man dpv).
--
Devin