Re: old NFS stripped out in a few days

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 20:04:10 -0500 (EST)
Bryan Drewery wrote:
> On 12/16/2014 4:58 PM, Rick Macklem wrote:
> > FYI, I am planning on stripping the old NFS code out of head
> > on about Mon. Dec 22. This has been discussed before and most
> > seemed to be in favour of it.
> >
> > If you see a big problem with this, please email soon with
> > your concerns.
> >
> > rick
>
> Mind clarifying briefly the impact of this? Does the oldnfs code
> offer a
> single benefit over the current NFS code?

Well, I remember one person reporting that they still use the old
NFS server and that they had problems with the new one.

Unfortunately, these servers were used in production and they didn't
have time to update them or try and isolate what problem(s) they
experienced with the new server. No one else has reported problems
with the new code that they avoid with the old code. (One other
site has a lot of local patches for the old NFS server, but I
think they will just have to port those to the new server if/when
they want to upgrade to FreeBSD11.)

Unless you use "-o" on nfsd to run the old server or do
"mount -t oldnfs ..." to use the old client, there shouldn't
be any impact, since you aren't using the old NFS client/server.

If you try and do "nfsd -o" after it is removed, nfsd replies that
the server isn't available and doesn't start.
For "mount -t oldnfs ...", it fails after the code is removed.

I, personally, don't care if it removed, but others have suggested
it (I suspect to reduce "code bloat" and the fact keeping it means
maintaining two NFS subsystems.)

rick