Re: r276200: EFI boot failure: kernel stops booting at pci0: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib0

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 13:01:13 +0100
Am Thu, 25 Dec 2014 11:40:47 -0800
Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org> schrieb:

> Would you be able to narrow it down to a small range of commits?
> that'll make it easier to chase down. :)
>
> Thanks!
>

> -adrian
>

> On 25 December 2014 at 10:42, O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> >
> > Since 23rd's update of CURRENT, the kernel fails to boot on systems that boot via EFI.
> > Systems with legacy booting seem not to be affected.
> >
> > I just ran today into the problem updating a notebook with a Intel Haswell Intel
> > i5-4200M CPU (Haswell) on a Lenovo ThinkPad E540, bboting via UEFI, CURRENT r276200.
> > The very same caode base is running on several other boxes which boot via legacy
> > method. The very same failure showed up at the lab on an older HP Compaq 8300 system,
> > based on H81 chipset equipted with an Ivy-Bridge CPU, booting also via EFI. That box
> > stops at the exact same spot as the notebook does.
> >
> > The systems in question, also the legacy booting systems (aka the oldstyle loader boot
> > method), load drm2, i915kms.
> >
> > Booting old kernel/modules (via "boot kernel.old"), at CURRENT r275896 is all right.
> >
> > What is happening here?
> >
> > Merry christmas day,
> >
> > oh

I narrowed down the culprit commit to be between r276060 (works) and r276075 (works not).
To avoid interferences from rogue modules, I disabled all modules loaded by the loader,
including drm2 and i915kms, but the picture is always the same. I'm sorry, I have some
duties to perform, so intersecting further is possible later only ... I performed the
iterative search of the foul commit by "svn update -r 276XXX" and then build kernel only
via "make kernel" - this just for the record in case some world-dependencies might have
effects.

oh