Re: newcons comming

From: Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 14:47:47 +0400
Hello, Ed.
You wrote 11 февраля 2014 г., 6:09:43:

 One (two?) more datapoints:
 I'm trying -CURRENT + vt(9) + vt_vga(9) on old Sony Vaio which has i915 AND NVIDIA
GeForce Go 7400 (selectable before boot with hardware switch), so I have
two-for-price-of=one experience.

 (1) When I select chipset-based (Intel) video.
   (a) i915kms is NOT loaded via loader.conf -- small windows in middle of
       screen, but it works considerably well. Not as fast as text console, but
       usable.
       When I starts X (NEW_XORG) and its load i915kms.so, I could switch
       back to text console which is full-resolution and fast now.

  (b) i915kms is LOADED with loader.conf. First messages from boot is in
      small window, and after that BLACK SCREEN and full hangup. It doesn't
      access HDD after that at all, so it looks like real hangup.

 (2) When I select GeForce video.
    Everything are in small window, but lower 2.5 lines are OUT OF SCREEN at
    all! I could type without seeing command-line. When I start X, it works
    (with nv driver) and I could switch to text console back, but it it same
    -- small, displaced window. After X finished, console is complete mess --
    large "sparse" letters, pink instead of "bold", only 1/4 of console in
    "window" and all other is cut out.

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_FreeBSD.org>