Re: Import of DragonFly Mail Agent

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 08:32:13 +0000
On 24 Feb 2014, at 07:34, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> Usual complains about sendmail in base until now has been:
> - complex configuration
> - long history of security concerns
> - no need for a full mta in base

The other complaint is that sendmail is only half of a useable MTA in base.  If you actually want to use it for anything other than local delivery, then you need to turn on authentication, which means installing the saslauthd port and then recompiling sendmail from source.  As soon as you do a freebsd-update, email stops working and you need to recompile sendmail again, meaning that you can't get binary security updates for one of the parts of the system with the worst security record.

I would love to have something in the base system that can handle mail delivery and authenticated relaying out of the box.  OpenBSD now ships with osmpd, which seems to work quite well for this, and if dma can as well then I'm very much in favour of it.

David