Re: Import of DragonFly Mail Agent

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 08:42:36 +0000
On 24 Feb 2014, at 08:35, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> dma can exactly do that :) while being smaller than opensmtpd (which is very
> very nice as well, this is the one I use when I need a full smtp setup :))

Sounds excellent then.  We definitely should be moving to a world where all of the base system services are compartmentalised with capsicum and given the attack surface and complex security requirements of an MTA, it sounds like it would be an excellent idea.  If you're willing to do the work then that's excellent (and makes you the de-facto winner of any resulting bikeshed)!

It would be good to have it merged to 10 for 10.2 so that people can play with it early.  If we decide to switch for 11, then it would also be a good idea to teach the upgrade process how to recognise non-default sendmail configurations (or, at least, ask the question), move them to /usr/local, and install a sendmail port, so that people who want to be using it will keep doing so.  I'm only using sendmail because I learned just enough of the config file syntax to do what I wanted 10 or so years ago and then I had a working config and never overcame the inertia required to switch - a clean and modern replacement in base would give me the right incentive!

David