Re: Feature Proposal: Transparent upgrade of crypt() algorithms

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 16:14:03 -0500
On Friday, February 28, 2014 12:16:45 pm Allan Jude wrote:
> On 2014-02-28 10:07, Nick Hibma wrote:
> >
> > On 28 Feb 2014, at 02:14, Allan Jude <freebsd_at_allanjude.com> wrote:
> >
> >> With r262501
> >> (http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=262501) importing
> >> the upgraded bcrypt from OpenBSD and eventually changing the default
> >> identifier for bcrypt to $2b$ it reminded me of a feature that is often
> >> seen in Forum software and other web apps.
> >> …
> >> This would make it much easier to transition a very large userbase from
> >> md5crypt to bcrypt or sha512crypt, rather than expiring the passwords or
> >> something.
> >
> > The sleeping accounts won’t be upgraded, so be left at the ‘insecure’
algorithm. I do see the point of automatic updating of password hashes for a
newer algorithm, but ‘not needing expiry’ isn’t the right argument. It is
actually an argument opposing your change!

> > What you probably meant was: don’t hassle users with the change in
algorithm, possibly only the users that haven’t ever logged in after 6 months.

> > Nick
> >

> The algorithm upgrade would upgrade everyone, including people who
> changed their password just 5 days ago. If an account is dormant, and
> never logs in, even a password expirey wouldn't force a password change,
> because the user never logs in.
>
> To better rephrase my point, the goal is to avoid having to adjust every
> users password expirey to yesterday, in order to force them all to set
> new passwords.

I think Nick's point is you do want passwords using the "old" hash to expire
are some point if they haven't been auto-converted.

--
John Baldwin