Re: Better Password Hashes

From: A.J. Kehoe IV (Nanoman) <"A.J.>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 15:51:56 -0500
A.J. Kehoe IV (Nanoman) wrote:

[...]

>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=182518

[...]

It seems that pam_unix.c isn't the only file that needs patching.  Notice pw_pwcrypt and pw_password in pw_user.c:

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.sbin/pw/pw_user.c?view=markup

Rather than copy Derek's code into pw_user.c, we're thinking that this would be a better solution:

1. Copy Derek's code into libcrypt.

2. Modify Derek's patches to reference libcrypt instead.

3. Write a patch for pw_user.c to reference libcrypt.

It's entirely possible that there are other utilities and libraries that also need to be patched.  Rather than use the copy-pasta method that appears to have been used between pam_unix.c and pw_user.c, everything can simply reference libcrypt.

Before we begin, does anyone have any comments?

--
A.J. Kehoe IV (Nanoman)     |  /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Nanoman's Company           |  \ /   - No HTML/RTF in E-mail