Re: picking a new AF_* number for NETLINK ?

From: Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_iet.unipi.it>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 08:10:52 -0800
On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 7:57 AM, Alexander V. Chernikov <
melifaro_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 17.01.2014 03:19, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>
>> In porting the kernel openvswitch code to FreeBSD we
>> have implemented netlink sockets, so we need to pick a
>>
> Wow, great!
> How deep you're planning to go with netlink support?
>
> E.g. sockets with NETLINK_GENERIC OVS-related CMDs, or NETLINK_ROUTE (and
> other families like FW) as well?

for the time being we focus on the ovs-related commands.

Our initial prototype overloaded PF_ROUTE: if the first
message on a socket carried a PF_NETLINK identifier then
all subsequent i/o is routed to the netlink routines.
However this required small changes to route.c so now
we are going to do the real thing (using a PF_NETLINK domain).

cheers
luigi