Re: freebsd-update

From: Rainer Duffner <rainer_at_ultra-secure.de>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 00:07:24 +0100
Am 25.01.2014 um 16:11 schrieb Mark Felder <feld_at_freebsd.org>:

> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014, at 5:32, Lars Engels wrote:
>>

>> Also using freebsd-update behind a proxy is really slow. Even with a
>> very fast internet connection (normally download rates ca. 3 MBytes / s)
>> downloading all the tiny binary diff files took more than 8 hours.
>> Maybe freebsd-update's backend could create a tarball of all those diffs
>> and provide this?
>
> Even streaming the tar instead of waiting for the freebsd-update server
> to produce the tarball would be an improvement. I have no experience
> doing that over a WAN but I don't see why it would be unreliable.

Apropos proxy:
freebsd-update does not work behind a proxy that requires authentication.
At least not with our proxy (which is a Sophos/Astaro „threat management appliance").
That’s OK for me, because I can talk the proxy-guys here into making an exception for my FreeBSD-servers - but It’s really a nuisance because everything else (that uses libfetch) can use proxy-authentication.