Re: freebsd-update

From: Lars Engels <lars.engels_at_0x20.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 12:07:26 +0100
Am 2014-01-29 22:51, schrieb Colin Percival:
> On 01/29/14 12:51, Lars Engels wrote:
>>>
>>> Even streaming the tar instead of waiting for the freebsd-update
>>> server
>>> to produce the tarball would be an improvement. I have no experience
>>> doing that over a WAN but I don't see why it would be unreliable.
>>
>> Colin, what do you think? Is it possible?
>
> Anything is *possible*, but given that the number of patches available
> is
> typically at least 10x the number being fetched this doesn't seem like
> it
> would be very efficient.
>
> FWIW, the performance problems with proxies are limited to HTTP proxies
> which don't speak HTTP/1.1.

Are you sure?
I just tried it manually with telnet:

# telnet proxyserver 8080
Trying <IP Address>...
Connected to proxyserver.
CONNECT www.heise.de:80 HTTP/1.1
Proxy-Authorization:Basic blahblahblahbase64

HTTP/1.1 200 Connection established

GET / HTTP/1.1

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request

IIUC the proxy itself supports HTTP/1.1 but not the webserver behind the
proxy?

That's the same proxy that takes hours to download the patches with
httpget.