Re: FreeBSD iscsi target

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 12:51:59 -0700
On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 4:26 AM, Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw_at_zxy.spb.ru> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 10:43:08PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw_at_zxy.spb.ru>
> wrote:

> > > I think this is help for 40G links.
> > >

> > I assume that you are looking at transfer of large amounts of data over
> 40G
> > links. Assuming that tis is the case, yes, multiple connections per
> session
>
> Yes, this case. As I know, single transfer over 40G link limited by
> 10G.

??? No, not at all. Getting 40G performance over TCP is not easy, but there
is no 10G limitation.

I might also suggest looking at Luigi Rizzo's netmap. It is NOT a drop-in
replacement for the TCP stack, but a tool that works with many high-speed
Ethernet devices to allow very efficient bulk data transfers. You will see
lots of discussion of it on net_at_. It is available for both FreeBSD and
Linux. It has become very popular for this sort of thing, but it does
require software customization. "Normal" network operatipns will continue
to use the standard network stack.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman_at_gmail.com