Re: Future of pf / firewall in FreeBSD ? - does it have one ?

From: Gerrit Kühn <gerrit.kuehn_at_aei.mpg.de>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 15:12:55 +0200
On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 15:06:45 +0400 Gleb Smirnoff <glebius_at_FreeBSD.org>
wrote about Re: Future of pf / firewall in FreeBSD ? - does it have one ?:

GS> The pf mailing list is about a dozen of active people. Yes, they are
GS> vocal on the new syntax. But there also exist a large number of common
GS> FreeBSD users who simply use pf w/o caring about syntax and reading pf
GS> mailing list. If we destroy the syntax compatibility a very large
GS> population of users would be hurt, for the sake of making a dozen
GS> happy.

I have thought about this for some time now, and I think I do not agree. I
do remember quite well when OpenBSD changed from ipf to pf, and I had to
come up with new rules files. Yes, this is a burden for people maintaining
these systems, but if the thing is well documented and comes with benefits
(like staying in sync with other developers, allowing new features etc.) I
doubt that many people will really be minding this.

cu
  Gerrit