Re: HOWTO articles for migrating from Linux to FreeBSD, especially for pkg?

From: Dreamcat4 <dreamcat4_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 15:07:09 +0100
On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 9:54 PM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_freebsd.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 10:21:17PM +0200, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 10:15 PM, Navdeep Parhar <nparhar_at_gmail.com>
> wrote:

> of a

> and

> > > Aren't sysrc(8) and service(8) for this kind of stuff?
> > >

> > They sure are.
> >
> > Well, pkg install $service ; sysrc ${service}_enable="YES" would do.
> > Although some services have different names than the packge, which is
> sort
> > of annoying.
>
> Maybe service needs to be extended (seriously sysrc
> ${service}_enable="YES" is
> not user friendly) we have service -l that list the services, maybe a
> service

This might be a pretty good idea. (barring technical obstacles).

> ${service} on that create /etc/rc.conf.d/${service} with
> ${service}_enable="YES"
> in it and service ${service} off to remove it

I think we should hope for an API / service interface that can try to avoid
(as much as it can) to require specifically "rc.conf" file and no other
possible way. Because FreeBSD may replace the current rc.d system in future
with something else better / next generation. For example the on-going
openlaunchd project. That question is more about "when" rather than "if".

maybe service -l could also be extended to show the current status (maybe
> with a
> -v switch)
>
> but for sure having the service off by default is a good idea :)

It wouldn't hurt very much to have some optional flag to the "pkg install"
command that allowed a user to do in 1 command. Then the global
configuration of services being installed "off" by default would remain as
always.

Yet allowing that little extra switch would achieve the stated goal. And
help towards FreeBSD being "a slightly more polished OS" that is more
user-friendly. Since, you know do the math. It is 1 fewer total commands to
type in. Such savings "all adds up". If enough such minor improvement can
be made all across the board. Then it makes a difference.