Re: Future of pf / firewall in FreeBSD ? - does it have one ?

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 16:54:50 -0700
On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 6:50 AM, Mark Felder <feld_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2014, at 3:35, Andreas Nilsson <andrnils_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 4:40 AM, Darren Pilgrim <
> > list_freebsd_at_bluerosetech.com> wrote:

> >> I would much rather have a slower pf that actually supports modern
> >> networking than a faster one I can't use due to showstopper flaws and
> >> missing features.
> >>

> > So would I. Not that we use pf, but anyway.
> >

> >> There is currently no viable firewall module for FreeBSD if you want to
> do
> >> things like route IPv6.
> >

> > Isn't that possible with ipfw?
> >
> > Perhaps the pf guys in OpenBSD could be convinced to start openpf and
> have
> > porting layer as in openzfs.
> >

> I do not know ipfw IPv6 limitations, but the Wikipedia article says:
>
> * IPv6 support (with several limitations)
>

> Choice is nice, but I would like to see the project promote one firewall
> to users. My coworkers long ago jumped ship from ipfw to pf and I know
> regret that decision due to the IPv6 bugs. At this point it's too hard to
> migrate all the servers off of pf.

I believe that this is obsolete, at least with 10.

It certainly used to be the case in older versions. I suspect the improved
ipfw is now in 9.3 and perhaps even 8.4, but I can't swear to it. I do know
that the 10.0 version broke several of my firewall rules which would have
made back-porting to older versions unacceptable but I believe that this is
no longer the case. Some IPv6 specific keywords had been eliminated, but I
think that they are all back in place, now. No longer required, but there
for compatibility.

The last feature I am aware of that lacked ipv6 support was tables. If any
more exist, they are subtle and I have not hit hem to this point.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman_at_gmail.com