Re: Problems starting X on Mac using vesa, radeon or intel drivers when running FreeBSD-CURRENT in EFI

From: Anders Bolt-Evensen <andersbo87_at_icloud.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 21:42:45 +0200
What I did was:
Install subversion either from ports or via pkg install
Get the newest source code from FreeBSD by running the command svn
checkout svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/head /usr/src (or whatever directory
you might choose, I used /usr/src)
Then I ran make buildworld from the new /usr/src directory.
When make buildworld had completed, I cd-ed to /usr/src/release and ran
sh ./generate-release.sh (this basically creates a chroot-ed
environment, installs some tools, builds kernel and world and creates an
ISO in /scratch/R/FreeBSD-something-disc1.iso).
When the shell script generate-release.sh had completed, I ran the
command mdconfig -a -t vnode -f
/scratch/R/release/FreeBSD-something-disk1.iso -u 1 && mount -t cd9660
/dev/md1 /mnt.
Then I created a new directory, /root/freebsd_generic_installer, copied
the contents of /mnt/ to the new /root/freebsd_generic_installer
directory and unmounted /mnt.

The following commands are taken from
https://wiki.freebsd.org/UEFI#CD.2FDVD_Boot_under_UEFI:
 > dd if=/dev/zero of=efiboot.img bs=4k count=100
 > mdconfig -a -t vnode -f efiboot.img
 > newfs_msdos -F 12 -m 0xf8 -L "FREEBSD_EFI" /dev/md0
 > mount -t msdosfs /dev/md0 /mnt
 > mkdir -p /mnt/efi/boot
 > cp /boot/loader.efi /mnt/efi/boot/bootx64.efi
 > umount /mnt
 > mdconfig -d -u 0

Finally I created the new custom ISO by running the following command:
makefs -t cd9660 -o bootimage='i386;efiboot.img' -o no-emul-boot -o
rockridge -o label=“FREEBSD_UEFI_INSTALL" -o publisher="test"
discname.iso /root/freebsd_generic_installer/

For the above example to work, please make sure that
/root/freebsd_generic_installer/etc/fstab has the following entry:
/dev/iso9660/FREEBSD_UEFI_INSTALL / cd9660 ro 0 0, otherwise, the boot
of the install DVD will stop with a mount error.

This is how I got the EFI FreeBSD installer to boot.